Building the Kingdom of God for 135 Years
In 1876 permission for the establishment of Holy Family parish was given by the Brooklyn Diocese. In accordance with the attached MEMORANDA by our first pastor, Father J. J. Hanselman, our first Mass was celebrated on May 23rd, 1880 on the Feast of the Most Holy Trinity at the house of George Ingram located on the corner of 4th Avenue & 27th Street, South Brooklyn.
The following are the firsts for the our parish:
George Woerthe, the child of Phillipp Woerthe and Louisa Stumm on May 30th, 1880.
Uniting Carolus Bayer and Francisca Mayer on June 13th, 1880.
OUR CHURCH BUILDING
On Sunday, June 12th, 1881 the Feast Day of the Most Holy Trinity the ceremony of blessing the Corner-Stone was performed by Bishop Loughlin. Click to see our original church building ~ outside and inside.
In 1928 our current church building was constructed of brick and stone. Click to visit our current church building ~ Holy Family Church.
In 1908 the school was built and the Sisters of Saint Dominic who had already been ministering in the parish, assumed responsibility for the education of our children. For 70 years our children learned about our Catholic Faith, how to pray and received an exceptional education. In 1978 as part of a Diocesan reorganization, our school was consolidated with that of Saint John the Evangelist and Saint Thomas Aquinas forming an area school for all three parishes.
In 1979 the parish of Saint Stanislaus Martyr was suppressed and Holy Family parish was made responsible for the spiritual welfare of it’s souls. This occurrence was tinged with sorrow for the parishioners of St. Stan’s, brought the blessing of a Spanish-speaking Charismatic Prayer Group and the Legion of Mary to our parish.
A golden memory for our parish was our 100th Anniversary celebration in 1980, during which the interior of our church building was renovated and on June 1st, 1980 ~ the Feast of the Holy Trinity, the church was solemnly re-dedicated by Bishop Francis Mugavero. Click to view joyous memories from our 100th Anniversary book. Anniversary #1 ~ Anniversary #2 ~ Anniversary #3 ~ Anniversary #4 ~ Anniversary #5 ~ Anniversary #6.
Holy Saturday 2006 (April 15th, 2006) was a sad day for our community as our beloved pastor, Father Thomas E. Fox